Thursday, November 3, 2011

Gender

3) I agree with Goffmans statement. I didn't notice anything big about the ad's in the movie until Jhally pointed out the postures and gestures and everything. Nothing seemed strange to me. It's not until I looked closely and started to think about the specifics that I realized how strange gender displays are. Also, I thought it was interesting when we looked at pictures of girls doing feminine poses and then guys doing feminine poses and I immediately thought the men were gay...even though the poses were the exact same. Women's gender displays are so different than mens.

5) Until we watched this movie I never payed attention to the different body positions shown in magazines. Now I realize that women are almost always shown lying down, tilting their heads up, knees bend, or holding up a foot off balance. These positions make it seem like women are defenseless, powerless, submissive, de-centered, and ungrounded. In contrast, men are always photographed with their heads straight or titled town, standing up, eyes piercing like an animal stalking prey. Also with hands, women are not ever holding the object, it's floating in their hand or they are barely touching it. Men grasp the object firmly.

8) Charlie's angels did not break the code. Although they appear confident, empowered, in charge, and controlling the action, they are shown sexily throughout the rest of the movie, and in ads. Specifically, there is the scene where Cameron Diaz is dancing in her room in her underwear. She is supposed to be this tough action fighter, but underneath the surface she is still feminine.

No comments:

Post a Comment