Thursday, September 1, 2011

Class

         Class this week has been very interesting. Sociology class goes more in depth than I thought it would. The discussions we have make me look deeper into myself then I ever knew I could. Learning about Sociological Imagination made me realize that society changes rapidly. I never thought about how by the time 5 year olds grow up, they won't have the childhood memories I had. Each generation leaves things behind.

       The thing I found most interesting this week was the activity with the boat. Watching everyone scramble to kick others off, I realized what a selfish society we live in. Each boat member didn't really care about anyone else, they just wanted to stay on the boat. As the members were strategizing, I noticed that the disabled ones and the elderly were the first ones to get kicked off. Also, the ones that didn't really make a difference were kicked off. Is this common sense, or judging that just because a person is missing a body part or older they are less capable of everyone else? I thought it was interesting that the Physics guy got to stay, but the Literary award winner got kicked off. I think it's because not many value the arts anymore.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment